While your stay in Zakynthos don’t miss the opportunity to visit the beautifull Island of Kefalonia. Guests will be picked up from their resorts to connect with the ferryboat from St Nicholas port, north of the island at Skinari. The coach will take the coastal road giving the guests a wonderful view of Kefalonia and of Zakynthos’ natural coastline. It takes about 45 minutes from Zante town to St. Nicholas and the ferryboat ride is about an hour and fifteen minutes.
Our first stop is St George’s castle which was capital of Kefalonia until the end of the 17th Century. The Byzantines started the work in the 12th Century but it was the Venetians who gave the castle its present day look. It is this dunce’s-cap of a hill which gave the castle an almost impregnable position. Here boarding your coach you head to the impressive Drogorati Cave, located outside of Sami, with its fine stalactites & stalagmites. Experts estimate that the cave is about 150 million years old. A natural balcony was created in 1953 from the earthquake, overlooking a chamber with about 100 square meters of floor, making it possible to hold concerts for up to 500 people. (30min stop).
Continuing on to Melissani Lake and Cave. Explore by boat, the cave stalactites, which are over 20,000 years old. Following a roof cave in, an impressive sight has been created causing the colors of the water to be reflected onto the walls of the cave. Important archaeological finds were also discovered on the lake’s sandbank, one of them is a figurine of the nymph Melissanthe after whom the cave is named, and another is a clay figurine of the God Pan. (30-40 min stop).
Lunch will be at the town of Aghia Efimia – before the 1953 earthquake it was one of the island’s important centres of trade, with stately homes, these were rebuilt with help from the French. Today it’s a wonderful town with a small harbour. You will have time here for lunch, a stroll or there’s a small beach if you would like to swim. After lunch, we drive towards Myrtos Bay, one of Kefalonia’s famous beaches, for a photo-stop. Finally a visit to Argostoli the Capital of Kefalonia, here you can take refreshments, relax in the square, or have a walk and explore before reboarding the coach to start your journey back to Pessada.
- Sail from Zakynthos to Kefalonia
- Visit the impressive Drogorati Cave
- Explore by boat the Melissani Lake and Cave
- Walk in the picturesque harbour of Aghia Efimia
- Stroll in Argostoli – the Capital of Kefalonia
- Rountrip boat tickets
- Experienced English speaking escort
- Pick up service from the majority of the hotels
- All taxes
- Entrance fee of Drogorati cave (4.00 € per person)
- Entrance fee of Melissani Lake (6.00 € per person)
- Lunch and drinks
- Gratuites (optional)
- There are 118 Steps at Drogorati cave to walk down, then obviously up. Comfortable walking shoes are necessary. Please note that on Thursdays the tour departs from the port of Zante town and on Sundays from Skinari port. There is complimentary pick up service from central Zante locations in both days.